Monday 2 December 2013

First Quilt

To start I had never done any quilting, patchwork and had not touched a sewing machine for years.
I love Jewel Colours (but not orange) and Black and white.
I saw an article in one of my handcraft books on an easy block pattern and figured well, I'd give it a try.
Picked up a small group of metallic star half metre lengths somewhere in my travels, had them for years ,I think I was a patchworker in my dreams.
Very limited Budget, so went to the backstreet bargain shop and got cream calico for the squares.
Cut out most the parts 10 years ago and made them  finally into blocks this August on a proper quilters machine that I was housesitting at.
Then did the edges with black calico and small squares for the interlock.
Backed it with a black king size sheet in a duvet style as I filled it with a duvet inner.
Will attempt to do stictching as per real patchwork on my next quilt as I have some better batting now and lots of plain Jewel squares left over, had an idea to do a similar one with buttons in the centres to hold it down (got a large pack of buttons from spotlight).
But next I might quickly do a xmas panel so I can give it to my newest DIL for xmas.

edit : Have done xmas panel see next post :) Loved it

4 comments:

  1. Hi...welcome to blogging!! Lovely to see your first quilt. Sounds v. similar to my 1st one which I filled with a duvet too!!! ( I had no idea then about basting/quilting etc!!!) Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, was a bit too scared to go full into the basting quilting at first, have just done the second thing with a little basting and quilting.:)

      Delete